teresa's blog - life, living, being human.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

As of today, January 9, 2009, this blog is more or less defunct. All posts have been moved to
A Gunderson World and this blog will be used for more random stuff.

Also, for your amusement I have a few other blogs:

Motherhood, Greatest Challenge,Greatest Joy

Cooking With Teresa

Art Full Expressions

Visions Through The Lens

Essay Me

And the new Collaborative Art Project: Photo Find

Monday, June 23, 2008

Tact in Business

Dearheart, you won't sell a lot of makeup that way...

I've never been much of a girl. Oh, I'm quite the woman, and I'm rather womanly in all sorts of ways, but I'm just not "girly", never have been. I'm more so these days, I actually wear makeup from time to time, and pick my clothes to match (will wonders never cease!)... but it's hard to keep up with that stuff chasing a Bundle, so it isn't something I'm too into. I've always figured that if someone was going to like me they were going to like me unshaved legs, no makeup, wild hair and all... lo and behold, they have so no worries.

Sadly there are a lot of women out there who proseltyize makeup like the most ferverent religious fanatic. I've been chastized by friends for not wearing makeup, not wearing matching underwear & bras (that stuff *matches*??? Wow), as well as not being thin and a variety of other female sins. I've been looked at with shock and horror because I "managed to get a man" looking like I do. I'm fairly used to it, but it still amuses me to no end.

My favorite incident in this vein came in a Wal Mart in my hometown, a small Southern Missouri town. It's late at night. I'm tired and ill, and at this point I probably haven't brushed my long hair in quite a while. Sweatshirt, comfy pants, sandals... you get the picture. Not exactly dolled up to shop for groceries, or whatever I was there for. Around the corner whirls a woman. She was probably in her mid 20's, early 30's. She was wearing foundation WAY lighter than her skin tone, dramatic blues and greens on her eyes, plucked brows drawn in black, heavy mascara, blush way brighter and more vivid than she should have been wearing. She was in a really fancy black lacy dress, hose, heels... far too dolled up to be shopping at Wally World.

As she bustled by me, she stopped stock still. I walked on, and heard her hurrying up behind me. She got my attention saying (in far too thick a Southern accent for my hometown) "HONEY! Oh, HONEY!" As she came close she said "Honey, I sell Mary Kay*..."

I can be brutal, and I think I made this woman cry. I feel bad for it now, but at the time I felt vindicated. "Lady," I said. "I know I'm fat and ugly, but that doesn't give you the right to run up to me in Wal Mart to try to get me to turn pretty."

Not one of my finer days, but then again? Not one of hers.

*for those who might not know, Mary Kay is an old style cosmetic company, one that's been the staple of many southern Missouri ladies for generations.

Original TIBU publication date: 9/06/2007

No comments:

My Plurk World

About Me

My photo
Hapless Human owned by multitudes of cats, one Pitiful Beagle, a rotten Basset Pup and an almost 4 year old short person. I often refer to my beloved husband as the Co-Worker, since we strive together to satisfy the demands of our Boss, the Bundle. I am The Mama Blogger.

What has been...

Labels

ArtFire - Buy Handmade - Sell Handmade